Top News

Swiss purchase items known only to those in the know

The desire to purchase triggered by scarcity.

In Switzerland, an unexpected product catches the eye. It’s a product I never expected—the wine.
Swiss wine is known among wine enthusiasts worldwide as a hidden gem that only those in the know can enjoy. Most people who have traveled locally only buy one or two bottles.

It is said that only about 1% of the total production is exported overseas due to the high demand for their own wine from Swiss people. Therefore, it is really difficult to obtain money outside of Switzerland, even if you have it.

If neighboring French or Italian wines boast global recognition and high quality, Swiss wines can be said to have value due to their rarity.


Representative species and products


While Switzerland also has over 250 varieties of grape trees, the most famous is the Chaslas, a white wine variety from the Valais region. Chaslas is a representative white variety of Switzerland known for its refreshing and clean taste and excellent mineral aroma, making it great to pair with Swiss cheese dishes like fondue and raclette.

The reason Swiss wine is spreading by word of mouth is that there are many high-altitude vineyards set against the backdrop of the Alps, resulting in a large temperature difference between day and night, which in turn increases the sugar content of the grapes, leading to wines with rich aroma and flavor.

It is also said that most wineries are small, often family-based, and focus is often placed on quality rather than mass production.


Place of purchase

When I visit Lucerne, I say "SCHUBI WEINE AG" I once bought a bottle of Swiss wine from a wine specialty store called "La," which was quite large, selling over 3,500 types of world wines and Swiss wines. Even if it's not here, you can easily purchase it at local supermarkets near Lucerne Station or Lake, but our group tourists often make such purchases that they are sold out.

A prime example is "Aigle Les Murayles," known as Swiss lizard wine because of its lizard on the label. There are lights, and the price is around 35,000 Korean won, which is 20-25 Swiss francs.

As someone who knows nothing about wine, I've tried it, and perhaps because I have a mental impression that it's a rare product, it seems to have been quite delicious.

Although the production volume is low, the quality is very high, and about 99% of the produced wine is consumed domestically, making it difficult to taste abroad.

If you have the opportunity to travel to Switzerland, I recommend buying a bottle of white wine rather than chocolate.





Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post