I almost went to hell while searching for romance... the terrible memory of almost collapsing at Jungfrau.
Travel, fragments of memory July 05, 20260
Jungfraujoch, known as the "roof of Europe." At an altitude of 3,454 meters, it is a place that attracts travelers from all over the world with its surreal scenery created by perpetual snow and massive glaciers. However, behind that overwhelming beauty lies a rough and thin air that tests the human body.
Beyond simply saying "the scenery is beautiful," it records the experience of altitude sickness in Jungfrau, where one felt vivid physical crisis and fear.
1. A fantastic train journey, and a quiet omen that arrives
The scenery outside the window of the mountain train, departing from Interlaken and passing through Lauterbrunnen and Kleine Scheidegg, was truly a scene from a fairy tale. The contrast between the scattered chalets (traditional Swiss houses) on the green hills and the distant snow completely disarmed even the slightest sense of caution against altitude sickness.
On the last rock train passing through Eiger Turble, the announcement warned of the high altitude of Jungfraujoch and urged people to walk slowly and drink water frequently. Until then, I, who was usually confident in my health, simply regarded it as a routine warning.
However, subtle changes began when the train surpassed 3,000 meters above sea level. Suddenly, a nasty headache came over me, as if my temples were being crushed, and my fingertips felt very slightly numb. I consoled myself, thinking, "It must be because it's stuffy inside the enclosed train," but it was a calm warning sign before the massive wave of altitude sickness hit.
2. The oppressive pressure and suffocating fear that weighs heavily on the chest
The train finally arrived at Jungfraujoch station, and the moment the doors opened, a completely different world unfolded with the cold air. Getting off the train and walking out of the station, I felt as heavy as lead, even though it was just taking one step as usual. It felt like walking underwater.
When I reached the peak by taking the elevator to the observatory, I was momentarily impressed by the magnificent view of the Aletsch Glacier before my eyes, but then a real crisis arrived.
It feels like someone is placing a large rock on my chest and pressing down on it.
Even as I inhaled, I felt like air wasn't entering my lungs. As oxygen became scarce, the heart began to race wildly to deliver the insufficient oxygen throughout the body. The pounding heartbeat was almost audible. A tight, burning pain occurred in the middle of my chest.
It went beyond simply being "short of breath." The overwhelming fear, accompanied by a pain that felt like my lungs were about to tear apart, was beyond imagination. "What if something really happens here?" "Is my heart going to stop like this?" An instinctive fear of survival dominated the brain.
3. A dizzying moment that came as vision blurred
The trouble started when he went out of the Plateau observation deck, saying he would step on the perpetual snow himself. The sub-zero temperatures and strong winds have intensified the pain in my chest. As I struck a pose to take a few photos against the backdrop of a dazzling snowy landscape, the sounds of the world suddenly began to recede.
My head spun, and instead of a white snowfield, black dots began to swirl before my eyes. I tried to put strength into my feet to keep my balance, but the strength in my knees slowly came loose. A strong dizziness, as if I might collapse to the floor at any moment, overwhelmed my entire body. The voices of people around me were buzzing and sounding faint, and I almost dropped the smartphone I was holding.
"No, we can't collapse here."
I bit my lip to regain my senses, but I couldn't muster any strength in my limbs. Fortunately, my friend who accompanied me noticed my face had turned ashen and quickly helped me to a chair in the inner shelter. As soon as I slumped into the chair, cold sweat poured down my back and forehead like rain.
4. Rest for survival, and enlightenment
Leaning back in the chair with my head bowed, I attempted to take a deep breath as I had seen in the guidebook. However, I remembered that if I gasp for breath quickly, it can actually lead to hyperventilation and worsen the symptoms. I consciously took very slow, deep breaths in and out repeatedly. I carefully swallowed the warm water I had put in my bag, little by little, down my throat.
Had it been about 30 minutes since I sat still and breathed carefully like a baby, doing nothing? The wildly beating heart gradually calmed down, and the blackout that had been obstructing my vision began to subside. It was only when the pain that had been pressing down on my chest turned into a dull, stiffness that a sigh of relief at feeling alive finally burst out.
In the end, I had been looking forward to eating Shin Ramyun, and I had no memory of what I had eaten. I also had to give up on exploring every corner of the Ice Palace. Because I had a feeling that ignoring the clear warning signals my body was sending would lead to serious trouble. As I boarded the down train again and the altitude began to drop, my headache and chest pain magically subsided. When I arrived at Lauterbrunnen station, I felt lighter as if nothing had happened.
Advice for those seeking Jungfrau
Jungfraujoch is so easily and comfortably accessible by train that we easily forget that we are at an altitude of 3,500 meters. But nature was never easy. If you plan to visit Jungfrau, please keep the following in mind.
Move slowly, very slowly: From the moment you get off the train, walk at half your usual pace. Running or rushing up stairs is a shortcut to calling altitude sickness an express.
Hydration is essential: in high-altitude areas, there is a significant loss of fluids through breathing. Please drink high-calorie snacks like chocolate and warm water frequently.
Don't ignore your body's signals: if you experience even a slight headache or feel chest tightness, you should immediately sit down and rest. If your symptoms worsen, do not hesitate to take the southbound train or seek help from medical staff at the station.
While it's good to have beautiful snow in your eyes, the most important thing is to return home safely. For me, the Swiss Jungfrau was a dizzying and unforgettable experience that made me acutely aware of human weakness, along with the wonders of nature.




Post a Comment